Halloween is just a few weeks away! It’s a fun night where adults are given permission to dress up and play with different characters and personas. And if you’ve never done it before, it’s a great opportunity to explore role playing. Halloween stores have all kinds of fun and sexy costumes and props that you can use in role playing. But it can also be overwhelming if you don’t know where to start. Here are some tips to help you start exploring:
- Discuss your role playing ideas with your partner. What fantasies or ideas do you have for role playing and what characters you would like to play? You want to make sure the roles/characters not only turn you on but also feels safe to both of you.
- Go to the Halloween store together. This allows you to see what costumes you like to try out and which ones best fit your fantasies and role playing ideas. And of course, you also want to make sure you feel comfortable wearing the costume.
- Try a prop or two (or three!). If you’re new to role playing and don’t feel comfortable wearing a full costume, start off with something small. Try a wig, dramatic makeup, sexy masks, or fun props. For example, the CalExotics’ Scandal collection has some great things that can be used as props such as a Flogger or part of a costume like the Corsets with Cuffs. Even sex toys can double as pleasurable props. For example, your Passion Pals™ Jack Rabbit® can not only be your light saber for your Han Solo costume, but it can also be used to provide lots and lots of pleasure for your Princess Leia! (For you Star Wars fans!)
- Keep it safe. Create a safe word to stop the play for any reason. Agree that the play will end immediately when that word is used.
- Have Fun and Play! Stop taking yourself so serious. Remember, you are not playing a role to win an Oscar! If you’re not comfortable with the idea of improvising and role playing, then try watching a steamy movie together and acting out some of the best scenes as the characters in the movie. This may help you get more comfortable playing roles. Once you’re comfortable, you will be ready to improvise some roles and characters. Continue to play so you both will feel comfortable role playing.
Role playing can add more fun and playfulness in the bedroom as well as help you break out of your sexual rut. Remember, use your imagination and have fun!